Thanks again to all who came out to share ideas and feedback this past Monday evening at Winnetka’s Downtown Master Plan ‘Public Workshop’. Below is a summary of the feedback received. See something missing? Venture over to the ‘Idea Zone‘ and send us additional thought bubbles – be sure to scroll down and see what your neighbors have been sharing as well.
Station 1 – Voting Priorities
Downtown Elm Street
Top Priorities + Additional Comments
Downtown Elm Street:
- Priority: Downtown Elm needs more dining options / pubs to enhance nightlife (27 votes)
- Priority: The Post Office Site should be developed into a mixed-use building (20 votes)
- Priority: East and West Elm make up one downtown not two separate business districts (15 votes)
- 10 Dislike Votes – The Post Office Site should be converted into an outdoor gathering space.
- More housing that is walkable to the train station and accessible for people with disabilities;
- Do not destroy the playground and open space at the west end of the park by the Post Office and Village Hall — it is a good transition and well used;
- Buildings need to preserve mixed-use and encourage more of it to be created;
- Fix parking situation by Community House – not enough space for loading / unloading near nursery school;
- More dining / family / night life;
- No more nail salons;
- Need a Village Square type gathering space, not just another park;
- Need a place in town where 5th-8th graders can find something to do – not enough options for youths / teens;
- Post Office Site could have open areas as well as a mixed-use building
“Creativity is intelligence having fun,” – Albert Einstein
And yesterday’s ‘Visioning Workshop’ for Winnetka’s Downtown Master Plan embraced just that. Thanks to all who came out to share ideas and feedback via the four interactive activity stations that were set-up:
- Station 1: Priority Voting Exercise
- Station 2: Visioning Collage
- Station 3: Winnetka Madlibs
- Station 4: District Discussion
Special thanks to North Shore Country Day School for helping to host the event!
Stay tuned! The consultant team is in the process of documenting the overall findings and will post a summation of such soon. In the meantime, enjoy the photo highlights below and mark your calendar for the December 16th Steering Committee meeting (7pm @ Village Hall), which will focus on refining the Vision Statements yesterday’s workshop helped build.
Sharing is caring! Come on out on Monday, November 16th to share ideas and feedback on Winnetka’s Downtown Master Plan. Teska Associates, project consultants, will be hosting a Public Workshop to develop a community vision for the business districts. Complimentary water, tea, and coffee will be provided.
The event will be held at North Shore Country Day School (Upper School) on Monday, November 16 beginning at 7:00 p.m.
North Shore Country Day is located at 310 Green Bay Road. Participants should enter from Green Bay and park in the lot closest to the Upper School main doors.
The Public Workshop is one of many opportunities to get involved with this high priority project for the Village of Winnetka. Come share your ideas about how to improve the Elm Street, Hubbard Woods, and Indian Hill business districts. If you are unable to make it please share feedback at anytime via the ‘Idea Zone‘ page on the website.