Ideas and costumed-kiddies were a-plenty at Winnetka’s ‘Halloween on Ice’ event held this past Saturday, October 24th at the Winnetka Ice arena.
Teska Associates, project consultants for the Downtown Master Plan, set-up a booth to gather ideas and comments relative to Winnetka’s business districts – Downtown Elm Street, Hubbard Woods and Indian Hill. Participants had the chance to relay their thoughts by writing on chalkboards or posting written comments. At the end of the event both boards were filled with feedback. Thanks to all who came by to chat and provide comments on the Downtown Planning effort, and to the Winnetka Park District for letting us crash their party.
Stay tuned — more events are being planned! A public open house is planned for November 16th — details coming soon. In the meantime, continue to share your ideas via the ‘Idea Zone‘ and by using the chalkboards posted in Downtown (on the west side of Chestnut just south of the Elm intersection) and Hubbard Woods (on the east side of Green Bay Road just north of Gage Street).
‘Halloween on Ice’ Photo-Snaps
You said it! Kick-Off Meeting Starts Discussion on Winnetka’s Business Districts
The kick-off meeting for Winnetka’s Downtown Master Plan was held the evening of October 12th at the Winnetka Community House. Steering Committee members and Working Groups gathered from 6-9pm with the consultant team and started the night by venturing out on walking tours through downtown. Participants stopped at different points along the way to discuss opportunities and general feedback unique to each vantage point and area. After the walking tours, individuals reconvened at the Winnetka Community House, and sat down in groups to consider the top issues, opportunities and priorities facing each of the three business districts. The three discussion questions and an overview of overall themes are listed below; click here to view a detailed summary.
- What are the Greatest Assets of Elm Street District?
- Attractive architecture, charm, appearance, scale
- Variety and mix of retailers and unique merchants
- Access and walkability
- Post Office Site
2. What are the Greatest Challenges Facing Hubbard Woods?
- Parking and traffic along Green Bay
- Lack of cohesion / mix of uses
3. What are the Greatest Needs of Indian Hill?
- Lack of identity
- Address high school population
- Safety and connectivity of street crossings at Green Bay and Winnetka
Fall weather calls for walking tours of Winnetka!
- Take a Guided Walking Tour – As part of the kick-off meeting for the Winnetka Downtown Master Plan on October 12th, the steering committee and working groups took a walking tour of the Downtown Business Districts – Elm Street, Hubbard Woods, and Indian Hill. We stopped at different points along the way, asked questions, and discussed opportunities. Now it’s your turn — download and print the walking tour guide and tell us what you think! Submit feedback and upload photos via the “Idea Zone” page. Don’t have time for all three districts? No sweat. Click the individual links below to view and print each district’s tour.